IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> MOD - Problem with job ID and containing printer URI

Re: IPP> MOD - Problem with job ID and containing printer URI

Robert Herriot (Robert.Herriot@Eng.Sun.COM)
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 12:07:22 -0800

I think that you are making different assumptions than I am about
the containing-printer-uri.

I have assumed that if a client submits a job J to printer P and then
queries the job id of J returned by the printJob operation for its
containing-printer-uri, it should get back P. But in any case, it can
still perform a Get-Jobs to P and see the job J in the list. So there
is no need for PrintJob to return containing-printer-uri because it
is the printer to which the PrintJob was submitted.

If someone who is not the owner of J queries J, then the P returned
may be different because of security issues. Thus containing-printer-uri
is a computed attribute whose value can differ for each query.

That's my view of it. I hope that others have the same understanding.

Bob Herriot