IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: SENSE> Time to shutdown the SENSE project?

IPP> Re: SENSE> Time to shutdown the SENSE project?

don@lexmark.com
Mon, 2 Feb 1998 15:47:53 -0500

Jay Martin said:

>Harry Lewis wrote:
>
>> While there are many options that could become part of a notification
scheme
>> for print and printers, ranging from SNMPv3 to JAVA notification etc...
>> believe SENSE is definitely worthwhile considering.
>
>I appreciate your continued interest, Harry. But I really believe
>that so much time has gone by that people will now be more interested
>in pursuing other mechanisms.
>
>Recall that Sense was started in November of 1995. Technology has
>moved along quite a bit since then. I have grown pretty tired of
>constantly analyzing "Sense vs. XYZ" as new approaches have come
>onto the scene.
>
>I really think it's time to just shut this effort down.
>
> ...jay

I tend to agree with Jay...

While the technology of SENSE is very much worth considering, I
believe that rather than a stand-alone effort, SENSE or some parts of
it might be folded into another project. There was a long, long
discussion of notification at the IPP meeting last week and there
was interest in investigating how some of the SENSE concepts and
work could be included. I think this will be a hot topic for the
Austin IPP meeting.

Don

* Don Wright don@lexmark.com *
* Product Manager, Strategic Alliances *
* Lexmark International *
* 740 New Circle Rd *
* Lexington, Ky 40550 *
* 606-232-4808 (phone) 606-232-6740 (fax) *