IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notifications

RE: IPP> Notifications

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 14:15:49 -0500

Randy-

UDP datagram notificaton still has the firewalls and proxies problem, u=
nless
everyone goes to SOCKS5.

-Carl

ipp-owner@pwg.org on 02/04/98 11:53:58 AM
Please respond to ipp-owner@pwg.org @ internet
To: paulmo@microsoft.com @ internet
cc: ipp@pwg.org @ internet
Subject: RE: IPP> Notifications

I agree that using SNMP solely for IPP notifications might be too much,=

but I still consider the use of UDP datagrams for asynchronous
notification to be valid for the IPP case. And with a simple
acknowledgment scheme you can achieve reliable delivery. I do not think=

a server would have to open a TCP connection to a notification receiver=

just to send a small notification message; for a notification message I=

think TCP is too much as well. UDP datagrams will also scale much bette=
than TCP connections in the event of a server having to handle a lot of=

notification subscriptions.

Randy