IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notifications

RE: IPP> Notifications

Paul Moore (paulmo@microsoft.com)
Wed, 4 Feb 1998 12:06:42 -0800

No argument at all. This is othogonal to the XML debate.

I am looking at expanding IPP to cover many needs beyond the relatively
simple feature set currently defined, the extensibility issue led me to the
XML proposal, the unsolicited message issue led me to this thread.

The point I am making is that using HTTP asymmetrically (i.e the client
always POSTs, the printer always listens for POST - which is the 'natural'
use of HTTP) precludes the core IPP protocol from generating asynchronous or
unsolicited reverse messages. This is a major limitiation - I want to be
sure that everybody knows that we are doing it and that we all accept the
trade-off. I'm sure we could invent lots of hacks later on the will work
round this but that's not an ideal solution. What will actually happen is
that we will all poll :-(