IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> Notifications

RE: IPP> Notifications

Roger K Debry (rdebry@us.ibm.com)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 13:03:41 -0500

> What will actually happen is that we will all poll :-(

I think that's the best we can do if we limit ourselves to the existing=
Web
infrastructure. Meanwhile, implementers will find ways to do asynchron=
ous
notifications outside the IPP box, as proprietary extensions. Later, t=
he IPP
v2 working group can look at what works and select or synthesize some a=
pproach
as standard for IPP asynch notification. And by then maybe the Web won=
't be so
asymmetrical.

Anyway, polling might not be elegant, but I think it can do the job. W=
ith
HTTP/1.1, the client will be polling over a persistant connection,

<RKD> So you assume that we would keep a connection open until
<RKD> a print job is completed and a notification provided? I
<RKD> don't know if I'd agree that this is a good idea.

so the
overhead should be low. Polling rates could be fairly slow, since ther=
e's no
need for instantaneous notification with an application like printing.

-Carl

ipp-owner@pwg.org on 02/04/98 01:53:15 PM
Please respond to ipp-owner@pwg.org @ internet