IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Notifications

Re: IPP> Notifications

Carl Kugler (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 19:12:58 -0500

Persistent connections are really the domain of the HTTP transport laye=
r, not
IPP.

But anyway, I was thinking of polling intervals of around 30 seconds. =
At that
rate, maintaining a connection for the lifetime of the job is probably =
cheaper
than tearing down and re-establishing a connection for each poll. HTTP=
servers
are free to close connections any time, so if the server is running low=
on
memory it can close idle connections at will. If the server has the re=
sources
to keep the connection open, then the client shouldn't close it unless =
the
client will not be using the server again for at least a minute, since =
closing
and then reopening adds computational overhead to the server, adds roun=
d trip
delays, results in more network traffic from overhead (SYN, ACK, FIN) t=
han
payload data, and consumes server resources with closed connections in
TIME_WAIT.