IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Three types of notification.

IPP> Three types of notification.

Gordon, Charles (CGordon@wal.osicom.com)
Mon, 9 Feb 1998 13:48:15 -0500

It seems to me that there are three types of notification to deal with.

1. Notifying the sender of the job whether or not the job is printed
and if so when.
2. Notifying the intended receiver of the job that he has a new job at
the printer.
3. Notifying MIS when and if problems occur printing the job.

I would suggest that IPP not concern itself with case 3. I think this
is best left to the implementer of the IPP print server to define for
their own environment.

As suggested in the previous messages, case 1 is probably best done via
email. However, I think IPP should provide the flexibility for other
mechanisms. Perhaps sender notification can be a job attribute which
includes notification method and address as part of the job.
Notification methods might include:

1. Human readable email which is sent directly to the person who sent
the job. In this case, the address would be the sender's email address.
The message would be sent in English.
2. Machine readable email which is sent to a mailbox accessible by
software on the sender's PC. The address would be a special email
address which the PC software could check periodically in the
background. When the software finds a notification message, it pops up
a Window saying so. The advantage in this method is that the software
on the local PC can provide the notification in the sender's native
language. This is difficult to do on the IPP server. However, the
sender's PC is (obviously) already setup with the correct character sets
and should have a localized version of the IPP software. The method
also allows the IPP software to give faster notification since it can
continuously poll the mailbox in the background rather than waiting for
the user to check his email.
3. Some other notification method to be developed later.

I haven't read any email on the IPP mailing list about case 2 yet.
Maybe no one is planning to support receiver notification, or maybe no
one has thought of it yet. I think it is important. If I send a print
job to Sam in Portland, I would like Sam to be told when the job is
printed and what printer it's on.

Receiver notification may be difficult. First of all, the receiver
should notified quickly when his job is printed. Some people may
consider email too slow for this. Secondly, the receive may not be
using IP protocol, or may not be networked at all (as unlikely as this
may be). I think IPP should start by supporting email notification of
the job receipient using the methods I described above for the sender.

Charles Gordon
Osicom Technologies, Inc.
cgordon@osicom.com
http://www.digprod.com