IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Consensus on sending our drafts to the IESG

Re: IPP> Consensus on sending our drafts to the IESG

KRIS_SCHOFF@HP-Boise-om8.om.hp.com
Tue, 10 Feb 1998 16:05:32 -0700

Yes, Hewlett-Packard agrees with Paul Moore in that we will implement
what the IESG ratifies, and our aim, as well, is to promote
interoperability. The intent of IPP is to enhance and standardize
internet printing, not to create a political battle between companies.

Kris Schoff
Hewlett-Packard

Subject: Re: IPP> Consensus on sending our drafts to the IESG
Author: Non-HP-jkm (jkm@underscore.com) at HP-Boise,mimegw7
Date: 2/7/98 10:15 AM

Paul,

> MS & HP will state to the IESG our concerns with the current
> design (just as anybody in the Internet comunity can).

And rightly so. We all look forward to seeing your concerns posted
to the IESG, where a larger domain of reviewers may be able to shed
additional light on this situation.

> Having said that - we will implement what the IESG
> ratifies. It is our aim to have maximum interoperability,
> not to divide the world into different camps - that would
> be a war we can all do without.

This is certainly good news. We all needed to hear these "official"
words from Microsoft. Whether the protocol/model is good or bad is
not nearly as important as solidarity, given the critical mass
nature of our efforts.

Are you able to speak on behalf of HP, or should a similar statement
be made from an HP representative?