IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Need clarification: Job Template Attributes: Optional

Re: IPP> Need clarification: Job Template Attributes: Optional

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Mon, 9 Mar 1998 10:14:23 PST

Yes, it is a mistake in section 15.3.4.3. The M* should be O*,
since Job Template attributes are not MANDATORY for a Printer to
support (just recommended if the device supports the feature).

This was agreed at the IPP meeting as well as being a typo that will
be fixed by the editor, Scott Isaacson, in consultation with the RFC
editor as the document becomes an RFC.

Since the notation also refers to section 4.2 which refers to section
12.2.3 which recommends that a Printer object support a Job Template
attribute that a device realizes, we could introduce the notation
"R" for recommended in section 15.3.4.3. We don't want to mis-lead
implementors that are using section 153.4.3 as a check list.

Or we could just change section 15.3.4.3 (4 times):

Group 2: Job Template Attributes (M)
Job Template attributes (M*) (see section 4.2)

to:

Group 2: Job Template Attributes (M)
Job Template attributes (O*) (recommended, see section 4.2)

Please send any other discrepancies or contradictions like this to the
e-mail list so that we can fix them as the document becomes an RFC.

Thanks,
Tom

At 15:29 03/04/1998 PST, Van Dang wrote:
>Carl Kugler wrote:
>>
>> Section 15.3.4.3, "Validate the presence of a single occurrence of required
>> Operation attributes", shows Job Template attributes as (M*) for Print-Job,
>> Validate-Job, Create-Job, and Print-URI requests. (M*) indicates MANDATORY
>> attributes that an IPP object MUST support, but that a client may omit in a
>> request or an IPP object may omit in a response. The reader is referred to
>> Section 4.2, where it says "Support for Job Template attributes by a
Printer ob
>> ject is OPTIONAL" and refers the reader to 12.2.3, to read "Even though
support
>> for Job Template attributes by a Printer object is OPTIONAL, it is
RECOMMENDED