IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> Re: SNMPv3 unsuited for IPP/JMP Notifications

Re: IPP> Re: SNMPv3 unsuited for IPP/JMP Notifications

James Walker (walker@dazel.com)
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 09:12:23 -0600

Jay Martin wrote:

> Turner, Randy wrote:
>
> > I will reiterate my belief that I don't think its realistic for a simple
> > embedded device to maintain notification info for hundreds of clients.
>
> I agree 110%. That fundamental belief is one of the most critical
> assumptions for which SENSE was designed. Namely, require the
> managed entity (ie, a printer) to provide minimal scalability for
> key services (ie, just a few simultaneous client accesses), then
> route that information into a generalized client/server system
> with a very high degree of scalability.

Well, here we go again...

Is it just me, or are we running into the embedded printer requirements
versus the print server requirements. If we are talking about IPP, the
host to device protocol, then I agree that the device need only support
a limited number of notification clients. If we are talking about IPP,
the print client to server protocol, then I believe that print server
ought to be able to scale to 100's, even 1000's, of clients.

...walker

--
Jim Walker <walker@dazel.com>
System Architect/DAZEL Wizard