IPP Mail Archive: IPP> Re: Implications of introducing new scheme and port for existing HTTP servers

IPP> Re: Implications of introducing new scheme and port for existing HTTP servers

Scott Lawrence (lawrence@agranat.com)
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 15:01:56 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 1 Jun 1998, Carl-Uno Manros wrote:

> 1) the introduction of a new scheme called "ipp"
> 2) the introduction a new default port number for IPP servers.
>
> Before the IPP WG responds to those suggestions, the IPP WG would like to
> get some advice from the HTTP WG on the implications of such a change.
> In particular, we want some feedback on how easy or difficult it would be
> to configure existing web servers to accomodate the suggested changes.

Answering for EmWeb, our embedded web server:

The new scheme (1) would require a very minor change from our existing
product, which requires that he scheme be 'http' if it is present at
all. We'd need to allow 'ipp', and perhaps add a check to ensure that
it is being used on the proper port (if that is deemed to be important).
If the client does not send the scheme, then there would be no change.

The new port (2) would be no change at all, since it can already
operate on any port. One might wish to recognize that the default port
for an 'ipp:' scheme redirect would be different than for an 'http:'
redirect, but that's a very minor matter.