IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files

Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files Internet-Draftdown-loaded

From: Michael Sweet (mike@easysw.com)
Date: Wed Nov 08 2000 - 15:37:19 EST

    Mike Bartman wrote:

    > I'm curious as to why this question of drivers and CPUs is part
    > of IPP. It seems to me that printer administration is a separate
    > issue from printing, and should be dealt with in a separate
    > protocol...perhaps one more generic to the question of networked
    > machine interoperability. There's no basic reason why printers
    > should support distribution and installation of software used to

    The original purpose of IPP was to replace LPD, and LPD handled
    a few printer administration issues as well as the mundane print
    and cancel job type operations.

    Whether or not to address administration issues in IPP has been
    an ongoing battle. IMHO *not* providing support for operations
    and features needed beyond the printer will hurt IPP in the
    long run. Network printing has always been a pain, and
    providing a single, vendor-neutral protocol for all printing
    stuff is the only way to fix that.

    Will printer manufacturers include driver download support in
    their products? I doubt it - too many driver revs, languages,
    and OS's to fit in limited ROM/flash memory. More likely this
    extension will be used by IPP-capable printing systems on desktop
    or server machines.

    Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products                  mike@easysw.com