IPP Mail Archive: Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files

Re: IPP> DRV - Client Print Support Files Internet-Draftdown-load ed

From: Carl Kugler/Boulder/IBM (kugler@us.ibm.com)
Date: Fri Nov 10 2000 - 16:56:16 EST

    "McDonald, Ira" <imcdonald@s...> wrote:
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I originally thought we should just make available standard
    > (not 'ipp:') URLs for driver software (like 'ftp:', 'http:')
    > and let the client fetch the driver by conventional file
    > transfer.
    >
    > But the waters get muddy. Because IPP aspires to operate
    > over the public Internet and because it chose HTTP as the
    > transport substrate (largely to try to punch through firewalls
    > - which didn't work out, by the way),

    I wouldn't say that. IPP through firewalls worked fine at the Bakeoff. I
    think the key advantage of having HTTP as the substrate is that the
    firewall issues are well known and understood from HTTP experience. You
    can allow outbound print through a firewall with no more risk than allowing
    HTTP POST. You can set up a secure inbound IPP gateway with no more risk
    than running a secure web server.

    > some IPP WG members
    > believe that it's important to hide file transfer of drivers
    > inside the SAME IPP session already established out onto
    > the Internet and back into some other (target printers)
    > private net.

    I don't think its a desire to hide anything, just a desire to provide a
    positive "user experience". Hunting down and installing drivers is a
    notorious PITA. Supporting multiple protocols through firewalls, etc., is
    also a pain. If it takes two protocols to print (one for obtaining the
    driver, one for submitting the job), the chances of success get cut in
    half.

         -Carl