IPP Mail Archive: RE: IPP> global media; comment on yesterda

RE: IPP> global media; comment on yesterday's proposal [put units field last]

From: pmoore@netreon.com
Date: Tue May 01 2001 - 20:27:51 EDT

    I know I havent contributed much lately and apologize if I am rehashing
    arguments that have already been covered.

    Why does the name have to include the size - my name doesnt include my telephone
    number, if somebody needs my phone number they look it up using my name as a
    'key'. Surely the correct solution is to allow a device to assign any name it
    likes to media (probably choosing well known ones for its market, B3, Letter,
    ....). If the client app /driver needs to know the physical size then all that
    is needed is an operation to query the paper size, the response must include the
    units. Likewise the app more than likely needs to know the markable area - it
    should be provided with a mechanism for asking for that information. Similarly
    if you need to know the color, thickness, manufacturer, weight, permiability,
    date of purchase, etc. there should be queriable attributes to read these
    things; lest we end up with don's

    na_toilet_paper.continous.landscape.ruffled.4_4in.offpink.clockwise

    Which tells you everything except the markable area and the manufacturer

    If a device has more that one A4 available (say), then it can invent names for
    them (or even be operator assigned). To support this case there should also be a
    'standard name' attribute that can be queried - this would return A4, legal,
    ASMEY14,...