P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> RE: [PP1394:00137]

Re: P1394> RE: [PP1394:00137]

Greg Shue (gregs@sdd.hp.com)
Fri, 9 Jan 1998 13:50:31 -0800 (PST)

Fumio wrote:
> At LA meeting, we agreed to remove PSID and SSID from CDB of normal
> command block ORB. However, now I would like to suggest to enclose
> 1284.4 supportive flag and 6 bytes 1284.4 packet header in CDB.
>
> The reason is outlined below.
> 1) IEEE 1284.4 is providing "out-of-band packet control flag" in the
> header
> for 1284.4 packets.
> 2) However if we does not enclose any 1284.4 information in normal
> command
> block ORB. Fetch Agent needs to examine buffered data that wad
> fetched
> after the fetch agent processed the ORB.
> 3) Basically, out-of-band packet shall be extracted as soon as
> possible.
> 4) Thus we would like to make short cut to detect out-of-band requests
> without
> reading buffer space associated with each ORB.

[Shue,Greg] These comments lead me to think there is some
confusion about what does "out-of-band" mean. As I was told at
one of the PWG meetings, it means information which is
_synchronous_ to a specific point in the data stream, but is not
to be interpreted as normal data. As such, the phrase "shall be
extracted as soon as possible" doesn't make sense to me. Can
this be explained further?

--
Greg Shue
Hewlett-Packard Company