P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Print Protocols

RE: P1394> Print Protocols

Stephen Holmstead (stephen@hpb16977.boi.hp.com)
Tue, 17 Feb 1998 15:54:55 -0700

Here's my opinion.

1) I agree that this option is dead.
2) I think option 2 could work, but there is some political resistance
from the camera guys to adding 1284.4. It's heavier than Thin Protocol
(Thin doesn't have multiple channels). There would have to be a
definition of how 1284.4 sits on top of 1394, but I don't think that
there needs to be another layer between 1284.4 and 1394.
3) I really don't like SBP-2. SBP-2 is an EXCELLENT model for existing
storage devices. It is NOT a good model for peer to peer devices.
Sure, the initiator/target model can be modified to have a target notify
the initiator that data is available, but it is kludgy. Aborting the
task queue is an exceptable solution if your model is primarily single
direction data flow. But in a peer to peer environment, the data
direction is going to switch a bunch. That is just not an exceptable
design. Bottom line, you can make initiator/target model do peer to
peer, but it won't do it well.
4) DPP is not a transport layer. The Thin Protocol (defined in the DPP
spec) that sits BELOW DPP is a transport layer. I like Thin Protocol.
It's very lightweight. I don't think anybody could complain about
adding the code to implement Thin Protocol. It doesn't provide multiple
channels, but it does do segmentation/reassembly. It provides a very
generic and simple "stream" transport.
5) I would be happy with IP/1394. It would allow us to have UDP and
TCP transport layers that are already familiar to many. Unfortunately,
I think this option is viewed by many to be "heavy", but it doesn't have
to be. I don't care about DHCP, DNS, and other administrative
protocols. I just want the transport layer (UDP/TCP). The real problem
here is that it's going to take a long time until committees decide what
IP/1394 is. If we are in a rush, this option isn't it.

So, in summary, option 4 looks like the leader in my book. Options 2
and 5 also have merit. That's my opinion. Anyone else?

Stephen Holmstead