P1394 Mail Archive: RE: P1394> Print Protocols

RE: P1394> Print Protocols

Turner, Randy (rturner@sharplabs.com)
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 01:01:11 -0800

As is too often the case, we seemed to have narrowed our focus only on
printing, when several members of both PWG and PWG-C produce peripherals
for which printing is only ONE function; and we DON'T want a separate
transport and datalink layer for every application we come up with. The
most common type of peripheral that provides more than just printing is
the multifunction fax, scan, and print device. In this scenario, in
which the scan and fax can theoretically operate independently of a
"host", its not hard to see where the peripheral might want to initiate
a connection to some other device (could be a PC, but might be something
else). This would typically mean the device just received a fax and
wants to transfer the contents of the fax (possibly post-OCR) to some
other device on the 1394 bus. Likewise, at any time, someone might walk
up to a networked digital copier/printer and scan something. The user
interface on the device may have given the user the ability to direct
this scanned image to some other device on the 1394 bus.

In both fax and scan scenarios I have presented, the peripheral wants to
initiate the connection to some other device on the 1394 bus. Sure, its
possible to design this system to use an initiator / target model,
wherein the PC ALWAYS has connections to both fax and scan "logical
units" and is ready to receive data, but we should no way preclude the
design of systems that truly want to support "peer" transport
capability.

In the 1284.x working groups we were "electrically" bound to support the
single-initiator model, and we talked about some rather elaborate means
for simulating peer-to-peer capability for 1284.4. Let me emphasize the
word "simulating" because basically we were faking it at the datalink
layer. In the 1284 scenario, because of the nature of our underlying
physical layer, we were on fairly firm technical grounds for proposing
peer-to-peer simulation at some layer in the stack. However, in my
opinion, looking at the 1394 physical layer, I have seen NO technical
ground to justify implementing a single-initiator transport for what
will be the only alternative to TCP/IP on the 1394 bus (I hope).

Let me also say that my convictions with regard to symmetry do not
necessarily preclude the use of SBP-2. In my earlier mail messages,
which have been echoed in the last week by Greg Shue and (I think) Alan
Berkema, we can achieve the symmetry that we would all like to see by
requiring "compliant" devices to support both initiator and target
SBP-2.

However, we also may be able to use the "thin" transport design being
proposed by the PWG-C. Personally, I would like to see a detailed
side-by-side analysis of an SBP-2 (both initiator and target)
implementation and the PWG-C "thin" stack implementation. I have a
hunch, like Greg Shue stated earlier, that the actual implementation
differences between the two will be minor, in both code size and RAM
requirements. But this is just a hunch until I see more data on this
subject.

Randy
(Just my additional $0.02)