P1394 Mail Archive: Re: P1394> "Notify" bit issue

Re: P1394> "Notify" bit issue

Akihiro Shimura (shimura@pure.cpdc.canon.co.jp)
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 23:59:31 +0900 (JST)

Hi,

Thank you for the comments.

Please see the comments embedded below …

Akihiro Shimura

On Wed, 7 Apr 1999 10:31:15 -0700
John Nels Fuller <jfuller@MICROSOFT.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I think that you will agree that if a target device is allowed to complete
> outstanding ORBs in any arbitrary order that there is no advantage to having
> some ORBs with notify set and others with notify clear since there is no
> relationship between ORBs to give meaning to the ones with notify set. I
> realize that this is not true of the PWG command set, but from the
> perspective of a PC as an initiator where the SBP-2 layer is independent of
> the software layer that knows the device and thus only knows that the device
> gives out of order responses but not why or when then the SBP-2 layer must
> assume random response ordering and is not able to use knowledge of the
> device to imply grouping to the ORBs. Therefore, the PC will always set the
> notify bit for PWG devices even if the PWG command set allows it to be
> otherwise.

I agree that completely unordered SBP-2/command set will require
every "notify" bit set.
And, I understand that there will be at least one implementation
which will set every "notify" bit one and of which SBP-2 layer only
accepts completion notification from the bus and never accepts completion
notification (control) from its upper layer.
This will be one of valid implementation choices of PWG command set.

> It is possible that other, less general, initiators can be developed where
> knowledge of the device can be embedded in the SBP-2 driver. However, these
> devices are less likely to be concerned with the overhead of processing each
> completion status and in fact will probably want to limit the number of
> outstanding ORBs per queue to the point where they will need notify set on
> all ORBs anyway.

I suppose this story is a little bit rough.
There will likely be many other (embedded) implementations those
employ modern real time operation system, share processor time with
other processes, and require low overhead. I think whether a device
care about overhead or not is very implementation specific, and we
should not restrict optimization choices of such implementations
>from protocol point of view.

> In any case, if the PWG command set explicitly wants to change this, the
> SBP-2 default is that the target always has the option of returning a status
> for every ORB regardless of the state of the notify bit. This makes any
> gains an initiator might get from the more complex software needed much less
> certain.

This is another valid implementation choice of PWG command set that
does not care about system level overhead optimization, but I think
this does not lead us to mandating every notify bit set because it
is this specific "implementation" that did not need to care about
peer's overhead.

> So in the end, allowing notify to be clear has no value to PCs and little
> value elsewhere.

As I described above, the value elsewhere will be varied among
implementations (user(application)'s needs), and I think protocol
specification should not limit this kind of implementer's
optimization choices as far as it does not break anything.

Any comments?