P1394 Mail Archive: P1394> Registry for 1394 PWG Services

P1394> Registry for 1394 PWG Services

Brian Batchelder (batchelder@ieee.org)
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:38:17 -0800

What follows is a copy of the e-mail I recently sent to the IANA regarding the use of one of their lists for our service registry. To conserve e-mail space, I have not included the attachment, which was identical to the proposal I circulated via the reflector on November 30, 1999.

I will also post future e-mails between myself and IANA to the 1394PWG reflector.

Brian

Recently Josh Elliott of IANA and Alan Berkema of the 1394 Printer Working Group (PWG) exchanged e-mails regarding the establishment of an IANA registry for 1394 PWG services. After discussions within the 1394 PWG, it became apparent that we weren't actually looking for a new registry, but wanted to use an existing IANA registry. The registry that we would like to use is your "Protocol and Service Names" list.

Many of the devices our member companies will create for the 1394 bus will contain both the 1394 PWG transport protocol (known as PPDT) and an internet transport protocol, probably TCP. The devices' services will most likely be available over both protocols. Rather than maintain two registries, which could possibly become inconsistent, for these services we would prefer to have one registry. Since the "Protocol and Service Names" list already exists and contains some of the services we might support, we would prefer to use it as our one registry.

I have attached our specification's proposed annex that describes the process for adding services to the list. Is the documented process acceptable to IANA?

Please contact me with any questions. Following you will find the thread of discussion between Josh and Alan.

Thank you,

Brian Batchelder

Brian Batchelder - mailto:batchelder@ieee.org
IEEE 1212r Chair, IEEE 1284.4 Editor, 1394 Printer Working Group