PMP Mail Archive: Re[2]: PMP> Alert table thoughts

Re[2]: PMP> Alert table thoughts

Bill Wagner (bwagner@digprod.com)
Fri, 4 Apr 1997 02:09:26 -0500

Jay,

I suppose I do regret cutting the last day of interop testing.

1. Although I find Matt's proposal well expressed, and I agree that
it may be desirable to a continuously edit the alert table to ensure
that it fully expresses the current condition, I do not agree with
making the concise editing of the table mandatory. The table
management paragraph recognized that there must be some way to empty
events or else the table would fill up. It defined a simple protocol
(set of rules) to make room. Its intent was not to require that the
printer remove unary events the effect of which appears to have been
superseded by other unary events. I believe it unreasonable to mandate
this.

2. I suggest that Jay is indulging in hyperbole in stating "if the
Alert Table was not mandated as maintaining the complete set of
existing critical alerts, then the Alert Table was useless and should
be removed." Again, although it would be nice to have a complete
profile of the printer condition in the alert table, and higher end
units will want to stress the fact that they have such support, I do
not believe that it should be mandated. To Jay's objection that it
imposes a requirement on the management application to poll the
printer and keep a record of alert events that the printer may drop, I
suggest that it not be mandated that the management app keep this full
record either. If a printer manufacturer decides that a limited depth
alert table is appropriate for his product, that implementation is
still better than if there were no alert table.

In case I an unclear, I see insufficient justification for mandating
either the editing of alert table events so that only current
conditions are reflected, or for mandating that the alert table be
large enough to accommodate all possible, 'significant', contemporary
alerts.

Bill Wagner, DPI