PMP Mail Archive: PMP> Re: JMP> JobStateValue

PMP> Re: JMP> JobStateValue

JK Martin (jkm@underscore.com)
Thu, 8 May 1997 22:22:44 -0400 (EDT)

Harry has done an excellent job is describing the alternatives here,
particularly with respect to HOW one can get information using the
two different approaches.

Sheesh, I feel kinda dumb bemoaning the work we have to do in using
the Printer MIB Alert Table. The Job MIB Attribute Table makes the
Printer MIB Alert Table look like a cakewalk.

That is to say, the Job MIB Attribute Table is a walk thru hell.

Funny (not!), but as we straddle both the Job MIB and IPP efforts,
we see the IPP folks dealing with this kind of conceptual communication:

Client: "Hi, I'm Jay. Please give me the status of job XYZ"

Server: "Sure, that job's state is `pending'. Have a nice day."

(Of course, I'd rather conduct the above conversation using datagrams
instead of TCP, but that's a topic for another group... ;-)

Compare the above to the Job MIB, particularly if we eliminate the
Job State table.

Like I said, a walk thru hell.

The PMP group spent considerable time prioritizing the set of problems
the Job MIB needs to solve. It's now turning out that those priorities
don't amount to a hill of beans if the entire MIB must be overly complex
to satisfy the needs of lower-level priorities, such as accounting.

The Job State table should remain, IMHO. The replication of data in
the Job Attribute table should be removed.

In fact, if the complexity in trying to "serve two masters" gets any
worse, I'd suggest:

Define two different Job MIBs, one for status and one for accounting.

A management app designed to monitor status probably doesn't give a squat
about accounting. And an app designed to reliably capture accounting
probably doesn't care at all about status (other than the final status,
a static value, by definition).

One question that we all must come to grips with:

If a vendor wants to create a product used to monitor jobs,
will the choice of access be SNMP and the Job MIB, or IPP?

We are, after all, in the process of trying to solve the very same problem
in two completely different ways...at least when it comes to job status.

This doesn't feel good.

...jay

-- JK Martin | Email: jkm@underscore.com --
-- Underscore, Inc. | Voice: (603) 889-7000 --
-- 41C Sagamore Park Road | Fax: (603) 889-2699 --
-- Hudson, NH 03051-4915 | Web: http://www.underscore.com --