PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET

Re: PMP> URGENT: SYNTHESIS proposal on definition of OCTET

Tom Hastings (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Thu, 24 Jul 1997 16:30:41 PDT

At 15:01 07/24/97 PDT, David_Kellerman@nls.com wrote:
>Tom, I think it takes real guts to say "the SYNTHESIS proposal is simple."

You are right. I over stated this. (Its simpler than what we
had been considering up to Nashua). You are correct that the
SYNTHESIS proposal is more complicated that the UTF-8 only proposal
for applications that want to support the world. On the other hand, the
SYNTHESIS proposal is simpler for simpler application that have a more
limited scope, such as working only with Latin1 or only with JIS X0208.

>It's a hack that attempts to sanction existing non-conforming
>implementations. (Come on, it's a convenient fig leaf to say that
>implementors didn't know what ASCII meant -- they knew; it was just
>expedient to allow the extended local character sets.) It imposes a
>continuing burden of multiple code sets on applications. And the
>introduction of an open-ended choice of code sets can only complicate
>interoperability.

True. But maybe we should let the market place decide, rather
than legislating current practice as non-conformant.

>Your proposal goes on for pages and pages of dense text. And every time
>you attempt to explain it to people, you end up with pages of
>explanation. This should be a clue that it's not simple.

I agree its not as simple as just forcing UTF-8.

However, it is simpler for an application that wants to do simple
things like work with the coded character set of its environment. The
application isn't forced to do UTF-8.

Forcing an application to do UTF-8 when its running on a Windows platform
with ISO 8859 and the Printer (could be) set to ISO 8859 is not simple.

By the way, ISO 10646 is 120 pages of non-Kanji characters. The Kanji
adds another 600 pages.

>The SYNTHESIS proposal is tricky. And I only started to appreciate some
>of the implications yesterday as I was putting together the Utf8String
>proposal. To give just one example, all the objects affected by the
>existing prtGeneralCurrentLocalization and prtConsoleLocalization are
>(with one carefully documented exception) read-only, as is the
>localization table (so the agent completely controls the localization).
>The SYNTHESIS proposal, in contrast, affects a mix of read-only and
>writable objects, and the character set selection may be writable. This
>breaks new ground for the Printer MIB. What are the implications for
>agent and application, and how many pages of explanation are required to
>cover them?

I agree that the read-write objects are tricky. However, implementors
do NOT need to implement the read-write objects as read-write. In fact,
we might want to warn them not to, unless there is some sort of security
mechanism in place to make sure that unauthorized users don't write
writeable objects.

>Now I'm not asking you for an explanation of the issue above. In fact,
>my point is really that an explanation isn't too useful. I didn't start
>to see how the machinery fit together until I started working with it,
>started trying to see the implications for an application
>implementation. In effect, getting my hands dirty.

Great. More of us need to do that.

>I think the issue needs this sort of hands-on consideration from others,
>particularly applications implementors concerned with interoperability,
>in order to build confidence that we understand the implications. The
>floods of "urgent, reply by yesterday" e-mail, by contrast, quickly
>start to blur into a muddle.

I agree we need to take the time with application implementors.