PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Last call Printer MIB comment: simple localization proposal

Re: PMP> Last call Printer MIB comment: simple localization proposal

Ira Mcdonald x10962 (imcdonal@eso.mc.xerox.com)
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 18:25:34 PST

Hi Matt,

Welcome to the PWG standards work, by the way.

I'm discouraged to have to reply that Tom's and my proposal
was NOT an "April Fool joke". RFC 2277 does NOT say that
protocols SHOULD support UTF-8 (transform of ISO 10646,
Unicode). It says very clearly that they SHALL support
UTF-8 and MAY support other charsets. The Printer MIB
is not compliant. There isn't any gray area at all.

Cheers,
- Ira McDonald (High North)
[Matt's note]