PMP Mail Archive: Re: PMP> Printer MIB status

Re: PMP> Printer MIB status

harryl@us.ibm.com
Tue, 6 Jul 1999 11:11:01 -0600

This seems completely backward to me. There should be little need for a "show of
hands" to add an alert and a channel type!!! These are straightforward
extensions. The need for debate should be in the removal (deprecation?) of
prtAlertIndex from the trap varBind. Whether or not it met the letter of the
law... it's been shipped, now, for over 4 years and has caused no documented
harm. It can be justified by the interpretation that a varBind is simply
"interesting information". Of course, it can be criticized in that the Index
should be not-accessible.

Exactly what resolution are we pursuing in the draft standard to the varBind
issue? I think we should deprecate prtAlertIndex from the trap but not "fail"
implementations that followed the original definition.

Why would the printer MIB balk at adding a channel type for IPP or a new alert
that someone found they needed?

Harry Lewis
IBM Printing Systems
harryl@us.ibm.com