PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: question about the printer mib

PMP> RE: question about the printer mib

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Wed Feb 20 2002 - 16:03:07 EST

    Hi Juergen,

    I agree with you that 'prtMarkerLifeCount' SHOULD be persistent.
    And that's what RFC 1759 (Printer MIB v1) said in the same words
    used in the latest Printer MIB v2 draft, but in section 2.3, not
    in the object definition itself.

    Back in 1994, the chance that a low-end printer might have trouble
    supporting persistent counters was probably much higher.

    I would suggest that you may actually safely assume that the
    'prtMarkerLifeCount' _is_ persistent, because I've never heard
    of a modern printer where it is not persistent.

    Should we improve the DESCRIPTION clause of 'prtMarkerLifeCount'
    to explicitly add something like:

       "Note: This object SHOULD be implemented as a persistent
        object with a reliable value throughout the lifetime of
        the printer."

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2