PMP Mail Archive: PMP> RE: question about the printer mib

PMP> RE: question about the printer mib

From: McDonald, Ira (imcdonald@sharplabs.com)
Date: Thu Feb 21 2002 - 16:55:34 EST

    Hi Juergen,

    But you are asking for a backwards incompatible change in the module
    compliance definitions (which is illegal under SMI rules).

    RFC 1759 lists 'prtMarkerGroup' in the MANDATORY-GROUPS clause of
    the 'prtMIBCompliance' MODULE-COMPLIANCE macro.
    And 'prtMarkerGroup' lists 'prtMarkerLifeCount' as a mandatory
    object to implement.

    So a printer _cannot_ conform to Printer MIB v1 and not implement
    'prtMarkerLifeCount'.

    I sympathize with your problem, but you didn't point this problem
    out 8 years ago (when Steve Waldbusser wrote the ASN.1 that way).

    So for backwards compatiblity, the best we can do is to STRONGLY
    RECOMMEND (in the object definition) that the object be persistent
    in all printers (across power cycles) and to add your (excellent)
    clarification that the two counters are zero-based and _when_
    they are initialized to zero.

    OK?

    Cheers,
    - Ira McDonald, co-editor of Printer MIB v2
      High North Inc
      imcdonald@sharplabs.com