Re: PWG-ANNOUNCE> May Meeting Information

From: PJohansson@aol.com
Date: Mon Apr 05 1999 - 17:37:12 EDT

In a message dated 99-04-05 15:45:12 EDT, don@lexmark.com writes:

<<Reservation: 800-228-9290
Hewlett-Packard rate 169.00 / night>>

I was unable to make a reservation either by calling the 800 number or
long-distance direct to the hotel. The staff at the hotel was singularly
unhelpful and told me I couldn't book directly with them,

I think the PWG should revisit its policy of providing all of its business to
Marriott on an exclusive basis. As far as I understand it, this is so some
participants can amass "frequent stay" bonuses with a single vendor. I have
not been impressed with Marriott service, particularly their unwillingness to
accommodate special needs of the PWG. Additionally, difficulties making
reservations with Marriott are not an isolated occurrence.

I think meeting hotels should be picked on a rational, business-like basis
that includes price and service as key determinants in their selection. I
don't think it is wise to blindly give all of the PWG business to one vendor
without investigating other possibilities.

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA 94707