PWG-IPP Mail Archive: RE: ADM - IPP Priorities [QUALDOCs and IP

RE: ADM - IPP Priorities [QUALDOCs and IPP client thread]

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Jun 21 2000 - 12:13:50 EDT

    I think that we need to be thinking of QUALDOCS as one of two ways to send
    FAX over the Internet. Any client that claims to give users FAX over the
    Internet, should be able to send a FAX either using IPP (QUALDOCS) or
    Internet FAX (RFCs 2301-2305).

    Such a FAX client should have an address book that contains both IPP URLs
    and email addresses and uses which ever is indicated for each user. For the
    users that have IPP URLs, use QUALDOCs. For the users that have email
    addresses, use Internet FAX as specified in RFCs 2301-2305. For the user
    that has both, the client could first try IPP. If rejected, it could try
    the email address. In other words, QUALDOCs should be sold as a complement
    to Internet FAX, not as a replacement!

    Then we have a much better chance of selling the idea to the FAX community
    and the ITU.

    Tom