PWG-IPP Mail Archive: PPE - ISSUE about "x-image-position&

PPE - ISSUE about "x-image-position" vs. "x-image-center" attribu tes

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Wed Sep 20 2000 - 11:52:10 EDT

    NOTE: Since Production Printing is a PWG spec, not an IETF spec, we are
    sending it to the pwg-ipp DL, not the ipp DL.

    At the PWG-IPP meeting, we agreed to add 'left' and 'right' values to the
    "x-image-center" attribute and rename it to "x-image-position", where 'left'
    and 'right' were with respect to the printable area on the medium.

    However, Bob and I thought that the 'center' value needed to remain with
    respect to the edges of the medium, not the edges of the printable area,
    since in some implementations the printable area isn't symmetric (especially
    when the image path can handle longer and/or wider media). We thought that
    users would be unhappy to find that 'center' varied with implementation.

    So we suggest leaving "x-image-center" (boolean) with respect to the medium
    and adding "x-image-position" (type2 keyword) with respect to the printable
    area.

    OK? Send mail and/or join PWG-IPP telecon today.

    Here is the suggested text (y-image-position is similar except with 'top'
    and 'bottom' values):

    3.13.2 x-image-position (type2 keyword)

    This attribute causes the specified edge of the impression image to be
    positioned co-incident with the specified edge of the printable area by
    moving the image parallel to the x-axis on the media to which it is applied.

    The client MUST NOT supply both the "x-image-position" and the
    "x-image-auto-center" attributes. If the client supplies both, then the
    Printer MUST reject the Job Creation operation and return the
    'client-error-bad-request' status code.

    If the client supplies the "x-image-shift", "x-side1-image-shift", or
    "x-side2-image-shift" attributes, then the printer MUST apply the
    "x-image-position" attribute first, followed by the "x-image-shift"
    attribute, and finally the "x-side1-image-shift" and "x-side2-image-shift"
    attributes.

    Standard keyword values are:
    'left' Position the left edge of the impression image so that it is
    co-incident with the left edge of the printable area of the medium.
    'right' Position the right edge of the impression image so that it is
    co-incident with the right edge of the printable area of the medium.