PWG-IPP Mail Archive: PWG-IPP> IPP Production Printing Attri

PWG-IPP> IPP Production Printing Attributes

From: Harry Lewis (harryl@us.ibm.com)
Date: Mon Feb 19 2001 - 17:23:39 EST

    As the vote for IPP Production Attributes nears, I would like to reiterate
    several concerns I have had throughout the life of this draft.

    1. As a PWG draft, this topic does not seem to have received the same
    level of attention and discussion (ex. in f2f meetings or on the wire) as
    have the IETF related efforts (Notifications, Security, Bakeoff's etc.).
    While the document has received a couple short reviews, it is my opinion
    that these have been overshadowed by broader issues at the f2f meetings.

    2. The document introduces numerous concepts such as page ordering, image
    shifting and finishing features, some of which are fairly exotic. Granted,
    the scope of this proposal is "Production" but I wonder if this narrow
    scope may have resulted in less than broad participation in actually
    reviewing and digesting this document.

    3. There are other industry consortia addressing similar areas. The CIP4 -
    JDF is one example. There has been no formal PWG effort to assure harmony
    or compatibility between JDF and IPP Production Attributes.
    Harry Lewis
    IBM Printing Systems