Semantic Model Mail Archive: SM> Adding 4 more member attrib

From: Hastings, Tom N (hastings@cp10.es.xerox.com)
Date: Tue Jan 21 2003 - 21:06:10 EST

    PWG Semantic Model folks (and IPP WG folks),

    This is a similar mail message that I've send to the CIP4 JDF Capabilities
    WG.

    The IPP Document object spec has a "document-format-detail" (collection)
    attribute which contains member attributes that give more information about
    a document, such as "document-format-version",
    "document-format-natural-language", "platform", "device-id", and a recursive
    "document-format-details" (collection) to describe the unique Parts of an
    application/zip or multipart/related file. See:
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/pwg-ipp-document-object-latest.pdf

    The IPP "document-format-details" (collection) attribute is much like the
    FileSpec resource in JDF. So I've downloaded a comparison of the IPP
    document format attributes including the proposed "document-format-detail"
    (collection) attribute and the JDF/1.1 FileSpec resource. See:
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/Comparison of JDF and IPP
    document-format-attrs.pdf (213K)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/Comparison of JDF and IPP
    document-format-attrs.doc (264K)
    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/new_DOC/Comparison of JDF and IPP
    document-format-attrs.zip (33K)

    This downloaded document proposes adding 3 more attributes to JDF FileSpec
    resource:
    MimeTypeVersion, IEEE1284DeviceId, and DocumentParts.

    and 4 more member attributes to the proposed IPP "document-format-details
    (collection)::
    "application", "application-version", "platform-version" (or "os-version"),
    "user-file-name"

    in order to align both of them and to take the features of one and make them
    available in the other.

    I'll be glad to write up the new JDF FileSpec attributes (if the CIP4
    Capabilities WG likes the proposed semantics) and update the IPP Document
    object spec (if the PWG Semantic Model WG likes the proposed semantics).

    Comments?

    Thanks,
    Tom