UPD Mail Archive: UPD> Orientation/Rotation

UPD> Orientation/Rotation

From: Jim Sommer (jsommer@bellatlantic.net)
Date: Fri Oct 05 2001 - 11:37:51 EDT

    We currently have one element for orientation that has the possible values of:

    1) Portrait
    2) Landscape
    3) Rotated Portrait
    4) Rotated Landscape

    In my mind we have really created a composite feature of orientation
    (portrait/landscape) and rotation (off/on). Generally, orientation is a
    setting that an application controls and cares about so that it formats
    data properly. Rotation is something that the driver cares about so that
    the image is put on to the paper properly.

    If a user has a media (like 3 hole punch) that must be loaded in the
    printer in the rotated direction to prevent jamming, then the user will
    want to select rotate regardless of the orientation that may be selected
    within an application.

    I propose that we split the current orientation selection into two -
    orientation and rotation.

    Comments?

    Jim
    mailto:sommer@granitesystems.com