XP Mail Archive: RE: XP> Specifying the Persistence of Appmu

RE: XP> Specifying the Persistence of Appmuxed Reference Objects

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Wed Jan 08 2003 - 16:57:21 EST

    Elliott wrote:

    > We've also played with idea of using the "declare" attribute
    > on the obj element. The idea being that if you declare the
    > object, that means you want to store its contents for the
    > duration of the job.

    I still like the idea of having a reference count for an efficient use of
    memory. Without a count, the printer really has to keep all the images in
    memory is some way until the end of the last page of the document. There
    are other memory problems with the declare attribute besides the need to
    keep images around until the end of the doc. Using the declare attribute
    along with another instance where the image is in the data attribute may
    cause the image to be truncated due to memory constrains when doing
    attribute parsing.

    Jim Bigelow,
    Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile
    IEEE, Printer Working Group