XP Mail Archive: XP> XHTML-Print becomes a W3C Candidate Rec

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Wed Jan 07 2004 - 15:14:23 EST

    Hello,

    The W3C version of XHTML-Print [1] will be published as a Candidate
    Recommendation early in January.

    The W3C requires 2 interoperable implementations and a test suite to
    validate conformance.

    The question I tried to answer in today's HTML WG phone conference is how
    long to wait for 2 conforming implementations. The way the W3C works is the
    spec cannot become a Proposed Rec before the wait period elapses.

    I think it is better to shorten the transition period as much as feasible to
    give stability to the spec. But if it is too short, company's would not have
    time to implement and be comfortable announcing a product.

    The consensus was a minimum period of six months with the conformance test
    suite as soon as possible.

    Does anyone or any company care to comment on this?

    Jim

    --
    Jim Bigelow,
    Editor: XHTML-Print & CSS Print Profile