XP Mail Archive: XP> xhtml-print: RFC3391 interpretation que

From: BIGELOW,JIM (HP-Boise,ex1) (jim.bigelow@hp.com)
Date: Thu Apr 08 2004 - 11:51:41 EDT

    I'm looking for opinions on the interpretation of RFC3391 [1] since it is
    normatively referenced by XHTML-Print [2].

    RFC 3391 says,
       An Application/Vnd.pwg-multiplexed entity contains a sequence of
       chunks. Each chunk consists of a chunk header, a chunk payload and a
       CRLF.

         - The chunk header consists of a "CHK" keyword followed by the
           message number, the chunk payload length, whether the chunk is
           the last chunk of a message and, finally, a CRLF. The length
           field removes the need for boundary strings that Multipart uses.
           (See section 3.1 for the syntax of a chunk header).

         - The chunk payload is a sequence of octets that is either a
           complete message or a part of a message.

         - The CRLF provides visual separation from the following chunk.

    There are several situations where a single CRLF does not provide visual
    separation since the CRLF added to the document simply terminates a line
    rather than adding a empty line. For example in an XHTML-Print document
    didn't contain a terminating CRLF and adding a single CRLF would give the
    result shown below in example 1:

    CHK 0 0 LAST

    Rather than the following, example 2, I expected from reading the spec:

    CHK 0 0 LAST

    This could also occur when interleaving images and the root document.

    I think this issue will have a large impact on interoperability between
    printers and producers of multiplexed documents. So I'd like to get other
    people's interpretations of this matter.

    If I don't hear from anyone, I'll assume agreement that the multiplexed
    document should contain visual separation at the end of the chunk, as in the
    example 2.

    Jim

    [1] http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3391.txt
    [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-print/