XP Mail Archive: XP> [XHTML-Print] Changes moving toward PR

XP> [XHTML-Print] Changes moving toward PR

From: Grant, Melinda (melinda.grant@hp.com)
Date: Wed Feb 09 2005 - 15:51:19 EST

    (Fyi, I have replaced Jim Bigelow as HP's representative to the W3C HTML and CSS Working Groups, working on advancing XHTML-Print and the CSS Print Profile.)

    XHTML-Print (http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml-print) is ready to advance to Proposed Recommendation status. In preparation for this, several changes have been agreed to by the HTML Working Group; this message is a 'heads-up' that these changes are occurring, and a request for feedback on item #3 below.

    1. Support for the Multiplexed format will no longer be required by a conforming printer.
            Rationale: While it is important in some environments, it is not important in others. Printer manufacturers should be allowed to choose whether or not their target market justifies its inclusion.

    2. Support for CSS as defined by the CSS Print Profile will be REQUIRED for conforming printers.
            Rationale: Content authors need to be assured of styling capabilities in the rendering printer.

    3. Currently the spec allows printers to omit images which contain no height or width descriptors. This will be changed to require printers to attempt to render such images at their intrinsic size.
            Rationale: Content is King; the intrinsic size can be computed and layout space reserved based on that size. Images should not be omitted if they can be retrieved and printed.

    4. The MIME media type identifier for XHTML-Print with basic CSS Print support will be changed to "application/xhtml+xml; profile='http://www.w3.org/Markup/Profile/Print'"; for Enhanced support it will be "application/xhtml+xml; profile='http://www.w3.org/Markup/Profile/PrintEnhanced'".

    Please let me know if you have concerns about any of these changes. If I don't hear back within 10 days, I will assume you have no issues with the changes.

    Thanks for your help!

    Melinda

    P.S. I am aware that the new MIME identifier is too long to be used in UPnP environments, where there is a 32-character length limitation due to a defect. The HTML WG could not accommodate the length constraint. We will need to use the non-standard and unregistered identifiers, application/xhtml-print and application/xhtml-print-e, within the UPnP protocol.

    Melinda Grant
    Hewlett-Packard
    Connectivity Standards
    Consumer Printing and Imaging