[IPP] Medical 3D, IEEE P3033.2

wamwagner at comcast.net wamwagner at comcast.net
Thu Aug 17 18:41:44 UTC 2017

Hi Paul,

Going over my notes and the formal notes of IPP and Plenary meetings, there seems to be some discontinuity with regard to what was referred to as P3053 and the DICOM standard. I  recognize that this business I very confusing, and I apologize if I have mixed up some of your information.

1. The August  F2F IPP minutes refer to IEEE P3353, although I recall hearing P3033 as dealing with medical 3D aspects. I have found nothing on either IEEE workgroup but have found IEEE SA PARs under P3033.2 dealing with:
Standard for Three-Dimensional (3D) Medical Visualization
Standard for Three-Dimensional (3D) Medical Data Management
Standard for Three-Dimensional (3D) Medical Simulation
Standard for Bio-CAD File Format for Medical Three-Dimensional (3D) Printing
	Is it personnel associated with one of these activities that you have been referring to as interested in IPP, and if so, which?

2. The minutes indicate “ASTM liaison needed to interface with DICOM (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) medical imaging/3D printing wrapper standards.” However, I thought it was the one of the IEEE P3033.2  groups that was interested in using DICAM (I assume the DICOM file format). Further, DICOM is owned by NEMA, so, if we needed a liaison it would need to be with NEMA?
3. At any rate, it appears that the DICOM organization itself has a 3D-Print-Model-Storage work item (as, it appears, everyone does).

No rush on answering these questions. Thanks,
Bill W.