[IPP] printing job with different finishings

Tobias Wendorff tobias.wendorff at tu-dortmund.de
Thu May 9 13:03:34 UTC 2024

Dear members!

I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but after two weeks of
reading an enormous number of RFCs, searching for examples, digging
through IPP libraries and many misprints, I simply have to ask for help.

In our institute we have a Xerox AltaLink C8155, which is addressable
via IPP2. I use the "ipptool" from CUPS to communicate with the printer.
It is no problem to send a PDF file to the printer, to assign a job
finishing (e.g. stapling) or to set the color of the print, but with the
following combination I despair:

We frequently print scientific surveys that have two pages of cover
letter and then 10 pages of questionnaire. The cover letter should be
printed single-sided and in color, the questionnaire double-sided, in
b/w and stapled.

Even after numerous misprints, I couldn't manage to create such a
complex job. As a result, the cover letter and questionnaire are printed
separately and then assigned manually. This is error-prone work when 300
questionnaires have to be sent out.

I guess "multiple-document-handling" and "job-finishings" are probably
the buzzwords here, but I can't find any examples on the net.

Can anyone please help me?

Thanks in advance,
Tobias