[Cloud] Analysis of Cloud Printing use-cases

Randy Turner rturner at amalfisystems.com
Wed Apr 27 15:58:44 UTC 2011

Hi Glen,

Thanks for the comments.

My use of the word "contrived" may not be spot on, but I think we're trying to hard find a problem with a couple of these scenarios.

I don't think the industry will "move" to a virtual style of printing, I think "virtual" printing via some type of Cloud support will be be added to the domain of printing/imaging solutions.

Again, the "virtual" aspect of imaging I think is the real value-add of Cloud Imaging.  The less the client has to know about printer details, locality, protocols, etc., the better.  The destination "device" or "target" will still have some semantic meaning, but the semantic meaning of the destination will be very high-level and application based - and NOT reside within the realm of, say, the PWG Printing Semantic model.

I think we want to get away from users' having to care about complex printer driver dialogues and users' having to know what all these parameters mean.  The application, combined with the "context" in which the client is dealing with the imaging application, should provide enough information for us (as vendors) to auto-configure/auto-select everything the user is trying to accomplish.  I say that knowing that this is difficult, and will remain a "goal" and not necessarily a "mandatory requirement" of near-term solutions.

R.

believed to be clean.