[Cloud] Analysis of Cloud Printing use-cases

William Wagner wamwagner at comcast.net
Wed Apr 27 17:53:48 UTC 2011

I think we largely agree with Randy, and it was understood that the use
cases submitted were to be considered for Cloud and/or IPP Everywhere
applicability, since we needed use cases for each.

There are several circumstances however where printing to a local printer
might still best use Cloud Printing. One is where the client is using Cloud
Computing services. Although the real use case of QuickBooks check printing
did not involve a Cloud based service, one could conceive of a situation
(and the user in this case is considering it) where it might. In that case,
it would be the Cloud based service that is the client, acting on behalf of
the end user. Or the cloud based service somehow relays the print file to
the user, who then sends it to the printer; but with this alternate
approach, how does the service know the printer characteristics to format
the job...?)

Another case where cloud printing would be necessary, even when the user and
printer are physically co-located, is where there is no ability for the user
to connect to the local network (or perhaps there is no local network).
There are various scenarios for that, including perhaps situations where
guest users are not allowed for security or regulatory purposes. Indeed,
this would be a network remote although physically local user. Several of
the submitted use cases could easily be cast into this mode.

Thanks,
Bill Wagner