IDS> Comments on NAP binding document

Dave Whitehead david at lexmark.com
Mon Mar 2 15:52:07 EST 2009

Brian,

Here are my comments on the 02/12 version of the document.  The bit
mapping looks good except for a couple of length errors.

I'd also like to point everyone to Step-by-Step Guides for Server 2008 NAP
over DHCP, 802.1x, IPsec, and VPN:
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/network/bb545879.aspx

Brian, any idea when there will be a new draft?

Thanks,

dhw

David H. Whitehead
Development Engineer
Lexmark International, Inc.
859.825.4914
davidatlexmarkdotcom

==========================

1       access -> assess

2.2     ordering -- alphabetical (?)

4.2     Message Syntax is a copy from SOH 2.2 -- either change or
attribute it as such.

4.3.1.1 must -> MUST
        bits look good.

4.3.1.2 Specify HRESULT (or reference doc) (see:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc231198.aspx)

Should we separate MS entries (SystemHealth-ID and ComplianceCode,
FailureCatagory) from Vendor Extensions (IDS)

4.3.1.4 HCD Configuration Flags TLV
        The Length should be 12 and not 16.
        This is a new term.  Need to explain how these elements relate to
the defined attributes.
        What is TLV Subtype?  Not listed until section 6.  We should move
these up and explain they are the TLV Subtypes defined by the PWG and used
in the vendor section of the SOH.

4.3.1.8 Do we want Vendor SMI code to be 3 or 4 bytes?  Some places use 3,
other places use 4.

4.3.1.9.  Need Subtype for Firmware Name OR use the already MS defined
Product Name? (see 4.3.3.1)

4.3.1.12                How do we (or can we) support multiple patches?
There is only on FW so they all apply to the same FW.

4.3.2.6         Lengths are wrong -- off by 4.

4.3.3.1         Note this is the same as 4.3.1.9.

4.3.3.2         This has changed to variable length ...

4.3.3.3         As has this one ...

I stopped at Conformance.