IPP>MOD - HTML and IPP streams

rdebry at us.ibm.com rdebry at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 27 12:38:42 EST 1997

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
phone: 1-303-924-4080

Yesterday's conference call was very lively. I appreciate the debate, it helps
me to sort out things
in my own mind.  Based on the updated diagram I have drawn and posted in a
separate note, and
yesterdays discussion, I'd suggest the following relative to the use of HTML
and IPP:

A Web Browser must support HTML (pretty obvious)

An IPP Client must support IPP, and may optionally support HTML

An IPP Server must support IPP and may optionally support HTML.

I don't think that we can say that an IPP Server MUST support HTML in
order to be IPP compliant. Actually sounds pretty silly to me to say that
HTML is required to be IPP compliant!  I don't think that this is an
interoperability issue, is it?