IPP>MOD - HTML and IPP streams

rdebry at us.ibm.com rdebry at us.ibm.com
Fri Feb 28 12:22:25 EST 1997

Classification:
Prologue:
Epilogue: Roger K deBry
Senior Techncial Staff Member
Architecture and Technology
IBM Printing Systems
email: rdebry at us.ibm.com
phone: 1-303-924-4080

I doubt that we have consensus here.  Personally, I think the use of HTML as
optional support is quite a nice approach to providing information not in IPP or
to provide it in a more elegant or manufacturer-unique way. The use of HTML
templates in the Microsoft implementation is a nice example of allowing the
printer manufacturer to adorn their responses with a logo or whatever they use
to add unique value.

Another example would be the Kinko's case where I could use standard HTML to
put up a slick intro-page, advertise the day's specials, negotiate complex
printing
costs (print 50-100 copies for $xx.xx), etc., but then use standard IPP to
actually
communicate the print job.

In both of these cases, I think that we ought to view HTML as an optional
support
in a printing system, and not a mandatory server capability!!! It's certainly
not part
of IPP in my mind.

---------------------- Forwarded by Roger K Debry/Boulder/IBM on 02/28/97 10:12
AM ---------------------------

        ipp-owner @ pwg.org
        02/28/97 09:25 AM

cc: ipp @ pwg.org at internet
Subject: Re[2]: IPP>MOD - HTML and IPP streams

     I, and I expect others, seem to have missed a major step here. I would
     appreciate some clarification of the perceived relation between IPP
     and HTML. "Support" is perhaps too imprecise a term.

     1. If, as Randy suggests, HTML is considered as a PDL to be delivered
     to the printer interpreter, then it needs no mention in IPP any more
     than any other PDL.

     2. If, as Bob's message seems to suggest, HTML is a parallel
     implementation to IPP ( "the same information and capabilities via IPP
     and HTML"), some clarification of how this is to be done would be
     helpful. In addition, the need for two parallel capabilities is
     unclear. If IPP is browser oriented, and the browsers must 'support'
     HTML, and the desired capabilities can be provided with HTML (???),
     then why do IPP?

     3. If, as Roger's message suggests, HTML is an optional facility that
     may be used by IPP to, perhaps, provide more elegant messages to the
     user, it would seem that a fallback already exists and that HTML
     support is optional.

     Again, I would appreciate a quick summary of the perceived
     relationship between IPP and HTML.

     Bill Wagner, Osicom/DPI