Zehler,Peter Peter_Zehler at wb.xerox.com
Fri Feb 28 12:27:53 EST 1997

All,
Scott responded to the "Example of multiple levels of driver
 installation service
using IPP and HTTP" section of my mailnote

Scott wrote:
>You suggest "issuing an HTTP Get" on the URI.  This implies that the URI
>may only be an HTTP scheme URI.  What about some other scheme?
>Should we force it to be an HTTP scheme URI?

I took HTTP as an example.  FTP could also be a valid scheme.  I selected
HTTP as an example because its transfer response is immediate. HTTP
has the capability of informing the server of the client environment built in.
I don't think we should force driver installation services to be an HTTP
scheme.  I want to see how the prototypes handle it and evaluate the solutions
at that time.

Scott also question the following section in my mailnote:

Scott wrote:
>This implies some sort of tags in HTML?  Do we need to define the new
>tags?  How is this different than the Super Installer from the section
>before?  Isn't the this "IPP fashion" just the super installer?

I am implying that when IPP takes up driver installation one solution would
be to define IPP specific tag(s) to enable the retrieval the correct
 variant of a
driver installer.  There are other solutions.  In my example I needed IPP
specific tags to convey variant selection criteria unambiguously.
The difference between this case and the superinstaller case is how the
client environment is determined.  The superinstaller executes on the client
machine.  This could be accomplished using Java.  The superinstaller
determines the client environment locally and installs the driver in a platform
specific manner.  In my HTTP Get example the client send its environment
information in the request and the installation service uses the tags to return
the correct variant.