Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Fri Mar 7 08:18:34 EST 1997

Harald T. Alvestrand said:

>Examples of cases that should be handled, or guidance should exist:
>
>- An LPR client talks to an LPR printer. You want to replace the printer
>  with an IPP printer, but can't change the client.

No problem, support both LPR and IPP in the printer.  We do that today
in our printers.  They simultaneously support LPR, FTP, TFTP, PSERVER,
RPRINTER, AppleTalk, etc., etc., etc.

>- An LPR printer is absolutely necessary for some purpose, but the client
>that used to access it is being upgraded to IPP-only. What to do?

See answer above -- add IPP support to the printer or add an IPP server
in front of it and use LPR to "spray the bits into the printer."  Support for
multiple protocols will continue to be a marketplace requirements for printers.

Don