Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Fri Mar 7 11:23:18 EST 1997

I suggest that we start off by trying to agree on what the requirements
are for the Protocol document.

For example:

1. Map the tokens and semantics from the Model and Semantics document
to a protocol.

2. Select a transport protocol or specify a new one.

3. The protocol should be straightforward for the following environments
to support:

4. The deployment of clients and servers supporting new versions of the
protocol need not be done in lock step.

5. etc.

A second agenda item would be to list the RFCs that are reference and/or
background to the IPP protocol effort, especially for those of us who are
not familiar with very many RFCs.  I suggest that the protocol sub-group
keep an every-green list of such RFCs.  Such a growing list should contain:

  a. The complete title of the RFC
  b. The RFC number
  c. A sentence or two about what is in the RFC (maybe its Abstract?)
  d. Why this RFC is in this list: possible transport protocol, source for
     syntax, a good RFC to copy in form and presentation, etc.

The best place for this list would be on the PWG IPP web page itself with
hot links to the RFC FTP server for each listed RFC.

Tom