Don Wright don at lexmark.com
Tue May 6 07:23:22 EDT 1997

Jay Martin said:
>If existing print drivers are considered "today's technology", then
>today's technology won't know anything about IPP, correct?
>
>Perhaps I'm missing something, then.  Does anyone think that IPP is
>being designed such that today's print drivers can submit jobs to
>an IPP Printer?
>
>Maybe that's where I'm getting confused.  I'm making the assumption
>that to drive an IPP Printer, you need an IPP-aware print driver.
>Is this assumption incorrect?

I hope we are all balled up in terminology not technology.  From this
printer manufacturer's perspective, a printer driver creates the
datastream for a printer.  A "redirector" or "port driver" pushes that
datastream out the desired physical connection (parallel port, serial
port, IPX/SPX ethernet, etc.)

My  assumption is that IPP will work with today's drivers but require
new "redirector" or "port driver" software.

Don