IPP>MOD reconsideration of model decision

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Tue May 6 16:58:25 EDT 1997

> From SISAACSON at novell.com Tue May  6 13:34:29 1997
>
> Bob,
>
> Below you suggest the need for a client to query on "allowed" attributes and
> the server fills in the correct supported or capable if they are both
> implemented.  I have reviewed your email, and still don't get the need for
> your suggestion.
>
> My understanding:
>
> A client queries the Printer and gets back some attributes.  Since it gets
> xxx-supported and xxx-capable, it knows the difference in semantics of the
> two and does the right thing.  If it sees a value in xxx-capable, it knows
> that it must format some PDL string in order to realize the request.  If it
> sees a xxx-supported attribute it knows that is must supply a corresponding
> xxx attribute in the print request or live with the default (the xxx
> attribute at the Printer).
>
> Scott

Perhaps, I didn't explain the idea clearly.  I intended that the client
wouldn't have to do the work of looking for both 'capable' and
'supported' attributes.  Instead the server would do the same work and
just send an 'allowed' attribute with the value of the 'capable' or
'supported' according to the two rules I defined (included further down
in this email).  With my rule, a client using IPP attributes only uses
'allowed' attributes and can be totally unaware of the 'capable'
parameter to getAttributes.  A client that will imbed all production
attributes still uses the 'allowed' attributes, but specifies the
'capable' parameter to the getAttributes operation.  Without my
proposed change, such a client would have to look for 'capable' and
'supported' attribute when building a GUI -- perhaps not a big thing
for this legacy support, but I would rather that legacy support be in
a server as much as possible.