IPP>PRO another reason for needing byterange and document number

IPP>PRO another reason for needing byterange and document number

Robert Herriot Robert.Herriot at Eng.Sun.COM
Fri May 9 23:38:27 EDT 1997

I don't see this as checkpointing.  I would assume that the client retains
the data until it receives a response from the printer indicating that
it has received the data. Likewise the server would know the "high water"
mark for a file and ignore data below it.

The question is whether the client should retransmit the failed
operation or figure out how to start the sequence all over again.  I am
suggesting the NFS and Web NFS algorithms when I suggest retransmitting
the failed operation.

Do you really think it is easier for both client and server to restart
the sequence of operations?

Bob Herriot