Tom Hastings hastings at cp10.es.xerox.com
Wed May 21 02:11:18 EDT 1997

I agree with Bob's suggestions for both IPP and the Job Monitoring MIB
for simplifying the job-state and using job-state-reasons to indicate
information about the state.

I have a refinement concerning the job-held reason.

If a job has no reasons that jobs are held in the pending state, then
the job-held reason need not be implemented at all.

If an implementation has only one reason that jobs are held while in the
pending state, then that implemenation shall implement and return at least
the job-held reason.  However, if there are several reasons, then that
implementation shall implement (and return) the job-held reason
*in combination* with the other more specific reason(s).  Then an application
that doesn't understand all the reasons that jobs can be held, can at least
know that the job isn't going to be scheduled if the job-held reason is
present (and perhaps flag that job in some distinguishing way to its user).

The additional more-specific reasons for holding a job are:

            IPP                                   JMP
job-incomplete becoming: job-spooling?
job-sending-to-output-device
job-queued-in-output-device
job-hold-until-specified                  job-hold-until-specified
required-resources-not-ready              required-resource-not-ready
                                          documents-needed
                                          job-hold-set
                                          job-process-after-specified
                                          job-pre-processing
                                          job-paused
                                          job-interrupted

I think that the IPP reasons need review, and then should be added to JMP.
The JMP reasons do not need to be added to IPP though, since JMP is attempting
to monitor other systems in addition to IPP.

Tom